|Appearances||Advance Wars, Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising, Advance Wars: Dual Strike|
|Specialty||High quality Units|
|CO power||Morale Boost|
|Super CO power||Samurai Spirit|
Kanbei (Japanese: キクチヨ, Kikuchiyo) is a CO of Yellow Comet. He is the father of Sonja and the emperor of Yellow Comet. He is somewhat hotheaded, showing a form of samurai spirit. He deeply cares for his daughter and is a bit overprotective of her. In all of his appearances, his ability was making all of his units more powerful, but having all his units more powerful, be it through better or perhaps even more specialized ammunition and weapons, or very high standards of training, made them more expensive as a result compared to default units. In every Advance Wars title his units have good offence and defence. He was taught by Sensei.
All Kanbei's units have the offense and defense of 120%, but they also cost 20% more to deploy.
Morale Boost - Increases the firepower of all Kanbei's Units by 17% and defense by 10%
All Kanbei's units have the offence and defence of 130%, but their price is also 20% higher.
Morale Boost - Increases the firepower of Kanbei's Units to 150%. Their defence also rises to 140%.
Samurai Spirit - Increases the firepower of Kanbei's Units to 150%. Their defence rises to 160%. Firepower increased by 1.5 when inflicting damage in counter attacks.
All Kanbei's units have the offence and defence of 120%, but they also cost 20% more to deploy.
Morale Boost - Increases the offence of Kanbei's Units to 160%. They also get a defence bonus of 10%.
Samurai Spirit - Increases the offence and defence of Kanbei's Units to 170%. Firepower doubles when inflicting damage in counter attacks.
Kanbei has Tag Breaks with the following COs:
- Sonja, 130%, "Battle Standard" (3 stars)
- Javier, 110%, "Code of Honour" (1 star)
- Sensei, 105%
- Von Bolt, 90%
The mantra of Kanbei is, essentially, "pay more for quality". In Advance Wars 2, he was overpowered, due to 130/130 being beastly stats even with his increased cost, so they had to return his units back to 120/120 in Dual Strike. But even in Advance Wars 1 and Dual Strike, the price you pay is easily worth the benefit. Consider that you get a 40% net boost for just 20% more money.
In pre-deployed maps (such as many Dual Strike missions), he is one of the best CO's, since deploying (his main weakness) doesn't matter. Even in maps where the player must deploy units, he's an excellent CO. His offense and defense boost is universal. He has Sami-like Infantry units, Jess-like vehicles, Eagle-like aircrafts, Drake-like ships and he's like Javier with two Comm Towers.
His CO Power is good, but you shouldn't use it, because for just a few more stars, his Super CO Power is ridiculously good. You get the insanely good offense boost that Grimm and Max get, but you also get a high defense which makes his units near-invincible in battle. If there was any need for further incentive for the opponent to want to stay away from Kanbei's units during his Super CO Power, the counter-attacking bonus is great too.
In competitive play, Kanbei remains one of the best CO's for all of the above reasons.
"Observe the heart of a true Samurai!"
"True Samurai do not know the meaning of retreat!"
"Kanbei is here! All hail the emperor of Yellow Comet!"
"I hope you thoroughly enjoy the taste of my sword!"
"Let us fight with honor!"
"Let me help our cause!"
"Listen to the foe from afar... Watch him up close."
Javier: "Are my tactics of the pleasing sort, Sir Kanbei?"
Kanbei: "Stunning! I am in awe!"
Javier: "Chivalry is king!"
Kanbei: "And my sword is swift!"(with Sonja)
Sonja: "I knew we would win. Didn't you, Father?"
Kanbei: "Indeed! Victory was a certainty!"
Kanbei: "I love you, Sonja! Do you hear, world? I love her!"
Sonja: "Father, stop! You're embarrassing me!"
Kanbei: "On to the next battle! Yellow Comet, away!"
Sonja: "Father, wait! You forgot your sword!"
- In Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising, there is a glitch when using his super power where his units will still deal damage to the enemy by counterattacking, even if they are completely destroyed. It is unknown if it is possible to destroy an enemy unit by doing this.
- In Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising, the CPU AI never attack his units (without or with CO Power) if he has 1-star terrain more than the attacking unit.
- In Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising, If Kanbei activates his Super CO Power, if any infantry he has deployed are located on the HQ or on a Mountain, than it is quite literally impossible to kill his troops as they take a whooping 0% damage on those tiles. This is because Kanbei's troops receive a 30% defense bonus on a daily basis, then Troops receive 40% defense when located on an HQ or Mountain tile. Coupled with the added 30% defense from the Super CO Power means Kanbei takes 100% less damage, or no damage at all, meaning he cannot be damaged at all from any sources. This was eventually fixed in Advance Wars: Dual Strike with Kanbei's daily bonus decreased to 120/120 stats instead of 130/130 stats, therefore making it so he takes 90% damage instead of 100%. It's still a very ludicrous defense bonus though.
|COs:||Grimm | Kanbei | Sensei | Sonja|